How to Recover iCloud Email Hacked? Take These Steps Immediately
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to be a high-powered person to hack your iCloud email. Average users are also victims of hacking. It is important that you remember that today hackers have advanced technology through which they can steal all your data and use it for their own purposes. iCloud is a popular storage service widely used for backing up all your files. Although iCloud has strong security, it doesn’t mean that a hacker will never be able to break into it. If you think your iCloud email has been hacked or you don’t know whether your account is really safe or not, then this article is for you. Here, we will tell you all the symptoms of a hacked account and the steps you can take to keep it safe.
Signs of iCloud Email Hacked
There’s really nothing scarier than not knowing if your account is completely secure. The first step towards tackling this problem is to identify and be aware of the signs of hacking. Here are the most important indicators that someone else may have used your account.
- You receive an email that says, “Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser.” If your Apple ID is used somewhere you don’t recognize, someone is using your account details to sign in.
- You can no longer sign in with your existing account credentials. They have been modified without your notice.
- You can no longer log in with your password.
- Purchases are made with your account on the App Store. But you haven’t made any purchases with your own account.
- You find that your Apple device is in Lost Mode. Alternatively, it can also be locked.
Steps to Fix iCloud Email Hacked
Have you found that your iCloud account is actually hacked? Well, it’s time to act immediately. Here are some steps you can take to control this situation.
1. Reset Your iCloud Password
This is for those who cannot log in with their password. You can reset your iCloud password through the Apple ID account page.
- Password Reset Go to apply.apple.com and tap on “Forgot Apple ID”.
- A new page will open. Enter the Apple email address you think has been hacked here.
- Click “Continue”.
- Now tap on “I need to reset my password”.
- Now you can choose how you want to reset the password. You can choose to do this by answering security questions or by email.
- Using the prompts, allow Apple to send instructions to the rescue email you may have created for this purpose.
- If you choose Security Question, you will need to confirm your birthday and a few other questions before a new password can be generated. Always be sure to create a strong password that no one can guess.
2. Remove the credit card associated with your iCloud account
Do you have a credit card linked to your iCloud? So, the first thing to do when iCloud email gets hacked is to block your credit card associated with your iCloud account. If you don’t do this, hackers will start using it to make purchases. You definitely don’t want that. That’s why it is important that you take this step as soon as possible. If you have filed a police report for the hack, your bank can take this action.
3. Set Up Two-Factor Authentication on Your Apple Device
Two-factor authentication is an important security measure. This ensures that only you can access your account even if someone else has their password. Thus, it provides an additional layer of security to your account. Here’s how you can set up two-factor authentication on iPhone and Mac.
- Go to your phone’s “Settings” followed by [your name].
- Then select “Password & Security”.
- Click on “Enable Two-Factor Authentication”.
- After that, click “Continue”.
- Enter the phone number where you want to receive the verification code during login. You can get the code by phone call or SMS.
- After that, tap “Next”.
- Enter the verification code you received to activate 2-Step Verification.
- Go to the Apple menu.
- From there, go to “System Preferences,” then tap your Apple ID.
- Now tap on “Password & Security”. It is available under your name.
- Click “Enable” next to Two-Factor Authentication.
4. Review all linked accounts
If you’re desperate for a hacked iCloud email, it’s another thing to check all the accounts associated with it. Even if you managed to change the password of the hacked account, you still cannot assume that all your data inside is safe. Every account associated with a hacked account is also at risk of being hacked. The hacker can easily access the accounts linked to the email.
If you use one password for all your accounts, change the password for each account. Don’t do this only for the hacked account. This will reduce the risk of data theft from all other emails.
5. Disable Infected Apps
Often an app on your phone or other device infected with malware is responsible for the hack. In such a situation, you should not waste any time disabling or de-authorizing the app. When you remove them from the device, they will not be able to access your email account. Thus, it will reduce the chances of hackers stealing your personal information from your iCloud account. This will also reduce your chances of getting hacked in the future.
Today, we have many advanced security measures to protect our email. However, there has been a rise in technology that hackers are also using. This made it easy for them to break into someone’s account. If you think that your iCloud email hacked, then instead of panicking, you should immediately take the steps mentioned above. You can also go ahead and contact the email support service for further assistance on the same matter.